Saturday, December 1, 2007

Sean Melican Interviews Vandana Singh

The December issue of Ideomancer is up and features an interview by Sean Melican of Vandana Singh. Here's a brief taste:

SM: While I understand what you mean by 'non-Euclidean' writing, how do you go about consciously or unconsciously doing so?

VS: Well, I don't consciously try to do it but the few times I've tried writing mainstream fiction I've stopped after a couple of paragraphs because I've bored myself to tears. It is not that I find mainstream fiction itself boring-I love a lot of realist writing-but I can't seem to do it myself. Even if there is no overt magic or science fiction in a story of mine, there is awareness of a subtext that hints that things aren't as they seem on the surface; that there may be hidden relationships and connections. Which I think gives it a fantastical sensibility. It's a reflection of the way I look at the world, as a sort of palimpsest. The universe is non-Euclidean. I have an urge to bring that into my writing because I find it exciting. That's it in a nutshell.

Check it out and while you're there, look for Sean Melican's review of Vandana's novella, Of Love and Other Monsters, in the review section.

No comments: