Thursday, May 29, 2008

Wiscon

I missed the GoH speeches. Patrick and I had tickets for the dessert event, but the line seemed too long for us. So we went upstairs, intending to come back down for the speeches; and then I dozed off.

Anyway, I really hope Timmi posts her speech somewhere. It sounds like something I should have heard.

I wish Wiscon could be broken up and spread throughout the year: one day every three or four months. There is always more than I can do or see or hear; and then it's over, and I have to wait 12 months for the next Wiscon.

I wish there was a way to continue the discussions...

Of course, there are ways...Blogs like this one, Aqueducts publications...

2 comments:

Timmi Duchamp said...

Your wish, Eleanor, for WisCon spread out over the year reminds me of the discussion during the Feminist Think Tank panel at WisCon 30 (the transcript of which is available in the first volume of the WisCon Chronicles) & the subsequent attempted follow-up. The proposition advanced by one of the panelists that WisCon is a de facto feminist think tank generated enthusiasm for the idea of setting up mini-WisCons throughout the year in a scattering of locations. Afterwards a group of us discussed this online: why not have them house-sized, such that groups of people could spend the weekend together Doing WisCon (or, rather, the parts of it that can be done in such contexts), without the frills & expense. Nothing came of this, but I still believe this is a doable notion.

I hasten to add that probably the reason nothing came of this is that everyone involved in the discussion are people pursuing other projects as well. One thing that I've noticed (perhaps because of my experience making Aqueduct Press happen) is that such projects need a core group of people who make the particular project one of their primary focuses (which is what, after all, WisCon's concom does).

Hmmm... Perhaps we need a post on this, to see if we could reignite interest in making something like this happen...

Josh said...

Well, Eleanor, at least you can read a copy of Timmi's speech. Me, I slept through the Shirley Jackson Panel. Damn.

I agree with you, though, that the blogosphere does yeoman service in keeping The Conversation going. As do hundreds of correspondences fostered by WisCon.