Thursday, May 1, 2008

A New Review of Dangerous Space

A new interview with Kelley Eskridge, as well as a new review of Dangerous Space, has been posted at the short review. The reviewer, Tania Hershman, is new to science fiction:

As with the Logorrhea anthology, Dangerous Space opened my eyes to new definitions of "genre". When this book was described to me as "feminist science fiction", I had no idea what this meant. Tales of independent female aliens or space travellers? What I was not expecting was seven poignant, sensual and often poetic stories, of musicians, actors, theatre directors, journalists, most of whom inhabit worlds much like my own but with slight twists, shifts of fundamental rules and expectations.

Eskridge deals with familiar themes - gender, identity, love, passion - in unfamiliar ways, using the imaginative license granted by "science fiction", which permits a writer a greater freedom than those "restricted" by the conventions of traditional literary fiction.

About the interview, I will note only this: the word "gender" never occurs, even once.

1 comment:

Kelley Eskridge said...

About the interview, I will note only this: the word "gender" never occurs, even once.

I just wanted you to see I can be flexible. (grin)