Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Warwick Prize

A new prize, the biannual L.50,000 Warwick Prize for Writing, funded and administered by the University of Warwick, has been awarded to Canadian leftist Naomi Klein for The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism. China Miéville, the chair of the award's jury, characterizes the book as "a brilliant, provocative, outstandingly written investigation into some of the great outrages of our time. It has started many debates, and will start many more..."

The prize is "an international, cross-disciplinary award open to any genre of form of writing."

2 comments:

Nancy Jane Moore said...

Excellent. I note, with some pride, that The Shock Doctrine also made my "read and appreciated" list here on Ambling Along the Aqueduct, but, alas, I don't have 50,000 pounds to give to writers I admire. I'm very glad that Naomi Klein is getting her due.

Cat Rambo said...

I just ordered a copy and am looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the pointer to it!