Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Resistance

Here's a brief follow-up to my post of the other day, Institutionalizing cruelty and ignorance, noting currents of resistance. John Scalzi has posted a physician's manifesto of outrage at the very idea of being required to use a medical procedure for strictly ideological purposes:
I do not care what your personal politics are. I think we can all agree that my right to swing my fist ends where your face begins.

I do not feel that it is reactionary or even inaccurate to describe an unwanted, non-indicated transvaginal ultrasound as “rape”. If I insert ANY object into ANY orifice without informed consent, it is rape. And coercion of any kind negates consent, informed or otherwise.
This physician (who is known to Scalzi personally but prefers to remain anonymous) advocates physician civil disobedience.  

Read the entire manifesto here. (It is short and powerful.)

Abby Zimet, at Common Dreams, notes another form of resistance:
With Virginia Republican - and avid supporter of the state's personhood and ultrasound bills - Ryan McDougle so psyched to get all up into the lady parts of his constituents, they generously obliged him by taking to his Facebook page to offer detailed reports on their menstrual cycles, IUDs and vaginal discharge. His office tried to delete them; too late.
Zimet offers a screen capture of two examples.

No comments: