Monday, January 19, 2009

Winter Sun (with two reviews)

After suffering through a horrible temperature inversion, we've now seen the sun here in Seattle for two consecutive days. And so I just had to take a break from editing to walk with Tom in Seward Park this afternoon. I'd assumed there'd be the usual runners and dog walkers and bicyclists and maybe a few fair-weather walkers like us. But the place was jammed, as though it were a hot weekend in August. I half expected to see people swimming in Lake Washington. By the end of our walk, the sinking sun had stained the horizon with thick lashings of burnt orange, casting a delicate alpine glow over all the mountains (which included both Baker and Rainier) and lighting up a lot of windows miles away across the lake in Bellevue and Bothell. Oh the glories of a fine winter day!

Lyndon Perry's review of Nisi Shawl's Filter House is up at The Fix.

My review of M. M. Buckner's Watermind has been posted at Strange Horizons.

I haven't been posting because I've been working hard. Real hard. But I'm making such headway that I'm hoping I can ease up a bit later this week and bring out an interesting piece an Aqueductista recently sent me and a conversation with a feminist activist and scholar I taped last month.

No comments: